Monday, April 12, 2010

Feeling useful

Over the weekend I was talking with a friend of a friend who was thinking of getting a new tattoo of the Tibetan for 'courage'.

She said she'd been having trouble finding a source on the internet, and I said that I had a few Tibetan books that I could look up. Given how close the languages I work on are to Tibetan I have had vague plans for a while now to learn some of it - especially as it has a history of literature and its own script it's in a far better position than most of the languages in the family. To date, this has only extended to me purchasing books and leaving them on my shelf, which is where most of my good intentions dwell.

So today I did a bit of reading and photocopying and sent off the word, in Tibetan and also its pronunciation. It was the first time in a long time I felt I'd done something distinctly practical and useful with the knowledge I've accumulated this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment