Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Confirmation

I think, in an earlier post, I made passing reference to that dreaded C-word. That distasteful word that makes me cringe every time I hear someone say it. Yes, that's right - it's coming up to confirmation time...

Christian initiation rites aside, confirmation is the 12 month point of a PhD research program, which for me is early March. It involves a variety of horrors. One is that I have to write a 10,000 word paper, which I haven't even started thinking about. Considering I spent 9 months writing a 12,000 word piece for Honours this gives an indication there might be a few sleepless nights over the next month or two. The other thing is that I have to present my research-to-date and future plans in a talk to the entire department.

My plan, at the moment, is to just fill my slides with lots of pretty pictures of the landscape that I took on my field trip. I'm sure this plan can't possibly fail me!

1 comment:

  1. Whack the pictures up on a bit of cardboard and surround it with mounds of glitter-glue. This will dazzle the audience, compelling them histrionically to see the merits of your work. Of course, you could just rely on the merits of your work to do that of their own accord, but where's the glam in that?

    ReplyDelete